Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Panicked and Excited!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you realize that either your dreams could start to come true or you might find out that you really have no clue and should consider finding another dream? I will admit that I’m currently experiencing this. I wanted to share because I’m really more excited than panicked.

One of my best friends asked me this week if I would be willing to guest write some book reviews for the new blog she is getting ready to launch. I guess I should probably start at the beginning and explain a little why this is such a big deal to me. Catherine and I met in university probably about 15 years ago give or take a year. We had a handful of classes together and I got along with her right away. Every time we got together we chatted a lot about writing (as well as many other things) and I always left feeling motivated and full of ideas. Her enthusiasm for writing rubs off and you just want to go home and pick up a pen. This has not changed over the years and in fact when I’m done writing my current novel she will get a big thank you on the front page (if and when it gets published) because bouncing ideas off of her has been a godsend in getting my story to be a little more concrete and possible. She has helped me take a small idea and turn it into something that I think will be really cool. I have always admired her. She has stuck true to writing and works hard at it. She also has had jobs that have kept her way more involved in the book world than me. I always feel like I have sold out by getting a job in healthcare, sure it pays the bills but it is a far cry from anything creative. It adds a level of envy to my relationship with Catherine, but only in a good way.

When Catherine asked me to write for her blog it blew me away. Someone that I adore and respect actually thinks enough of me and my skills to invite me to put something on her page. It’s a scary moment because although I’m super excited, I’m also super terrified that my writing won’t be as good as she expects and that it will bring down her blog. I know it’s crazy and really not rational because really I’m going to probably write the best piece I can possibly do for her. But when I’m still feeling very rusty about my writing skills it is a daunting challenge.

So while I continue to work hard on my fiction and my own blog I guess now I shall take on a new challenge - that of writing some book reviews. When her site launches and my review is posted I will let you know. The first book that I’m going to be writing about is the latest craze, Fifty Shades of Grey. I look forward to sharing my opinions on it since it’s all everyone seems to be talking about anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Someone that I adore and respect actually thinks enough of me and my skills to invite me to put something on her page.

    Isn't it wonderful when that happens?

    ReplyDelete