Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

30 Days of Joy: Day 22/30


Day 22’s Joy – Finding a Camp Chair

As a bigger lady there are a lot of things I see people take for granted that I wish I could take for granted too.  One of those things that most people probably never even think about is sitting in a chair.  Chairs are one of my biggest sources of anxiety because I’m always terrified that when I sit down they are going to break.  I can’t wait for the day when I am light enough not to worry about weight restrictions on anything.  I know that it will be a great joy to be able to take for granted sitting.  With this in mind it is probably not all that surprising that finding a camp chair, that has a high enough weight limit that I will never need to worry, brought me a lot of pure joy yesterday.  It also made me surprisingly emotional and reflective.  Hehe!

I have often avoided things or told myself that I will do that when I’m smaller, lighter, etc.  These thoughts sometimes kept me from looking for ways that I could do things even at my size.  I have come to realize that I felt weirdly like I was giving up on my weight loss goals if I was finding ways to do something.  So for example hunting for a chair with a high weight limit was something I wouldn’t have done a few years ago because if I couldn’t use a regular chair then I wouldn’t use any.  I know it sounds pretty crazy right.  It took a long time to realize that what I was actually doing was punishing myself for not being like everyone else.  Once I started to realize what was going on in my head I started to work to change it.  It is okay to find ways to do what I love, like sitting around a campfire, no matter what size I am because I deserve to be able to live my life doing things I love no matter how I have to do them.

Working on changing my thinking may have helped me find a camping chair yesterday but it has also played a part in many of the other things I have started doing over the last few years.  Everything from taking up running to joining a gym to even just buying myself pretty dresses to wear are all things that have come from reframing how I look at myself.  I have been learning to love myself as I am in this moment, as I was in the past and as the person I’m becoming.  This lesson is quite honestly one of the biggest reasons that I can even attempt to do a 30 day challenge about joy.  This change is probably something that deserves its own blog entry but for now I’ll leave it here in my 30 day challenge.

I truly hope and wish that anyone reading this can find the joy of loving yourself.  Embrace it.  Buy a camping chair or a pretty dress or whatever makes you feel amazing and worthy because you are.  Don’t’ wait for some future version of yourself to embrace yourself.  You are amazing, beautiful and wonderful. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your struggles, im not saying you need anything this size but this site is always good for me.

    https://www.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/outdoor-chairs/1000-lb-capacity-heavy-duty-portable-chair/cat1820024/X2400?color=cl2622

    ReplyDelete