Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

30 Days of Joy: Day 10 & 11/30


I’m back!  After a very relaxing extra-long weekend at one of my favourite places it’s now time to play a little catch up.  Finding joy was pretty easy to come by the last few days but I wanted to make sure that I kept on track for my challenge by being a little more intentional about it.  I tried to decide what would bring me joy each day, although sometimes it was still the unplanned that brought it into my day the most.  I also wanted to make sure that I was keeping up with the challenge of daily blogging so although I wasn’t publishing it I still kept writing the entries each night.  Now that I’m back I will share those entries a couple at a time until I get myself caught back up.  Happy reading!

Day 10’s Joy – Deep Conversations with a Friend (Wed Jun 27)

As I transition to a laidback vacation version of myself I know the next few days finding joy will be a little easier.  Today I found my joy having a discussion with the friend who came with me to King’s Fold this time.  The night we arrive we have created a tradition where we bring our dinner with us and then go and find a room to have our ‘picnic’.  The conversations we have during this shared meal are often quite varied but always a good way to start our retreat.

Today the discussion turned to my Miracle Morning practices because I had recommended that she read the book by Hal Elrod and she had brought it with her to read while we were on retreat.  She was curious about what all I have gotten out of the practice since starting it.  This actually led to a bigger conversation about the concept/idea of the law of attraction. 

Just getting to openly discuss some of the ideas I have been reading about as I continue to learn about myself is special.  I don’t often openly share some of the ideas I have been exploring for fear that people will start to think I’m getting to be a little out there.  When I can find someone who shares some of the same beliefs it feels amazing to talk about it.  I gain so much out of conversations like this.  I get to explore my thoughts and in trying to communicate those thoughts I find that I’m able to gain more clarity around them.  It also just feels good to connect with someone and to find that maybe your ideas aren’t so crazy or out there after all.

One of the things I have been actively working on this year is connecting more with people.  I often keep myself from sharing my thoughts and ideas for fear of the reaction people will have.  This year really pushing against that fear has been showing me that it’s actually okay to let people in and let the true Jill come out.  It has been amazing to experience.  So this conversation was the perfect way to find some joy in the day and in my own growth.  I can’t think of a better way to start what will likely be quite a reflective vacation.

Day 11’s Joy – Enjoying a Silent Lunch (Thurs Jun 28)

My joy today surprised me a lot.  Have you ever shared a meal with other people in silence?  It is an experience that is hard to put into words.  When I woke up this morning I knew that the lunch would be a challenge for me but I also decided that I would try and make it my joy for the day.  In the end it was a beautiful meal and proved that you can find joy in anything if you have the right mindset.

The very first time I did a silent lunch was maybe on my second visit to King’s Fold about 4 years ago.  I can still picture it like it was yesterday.  There was a big thunderstorm outside which was actually pretty amazing but changed things a bit.  I had been told typically people get a tray and go off on their own during a silent lunch but the because of the rain most people seemed to stay in the dining room.  I can’t remember all that we were served that day but I do remember the fresh cut veggies.  It was really hard for me not to giggle as all you could hear was the crunching of carrots.  It was an experience that I will never forget.  I did feel bad though because it felt like I wasn’t giving the experience the proper respect.  Since that first silent lunch I have actively avoided being out at KF on a Thursday so that I could avoid the practice, until this visit.

Leading up to the vacation I was nervous about participating in a silent lunch again. The amazing thing was that I didn’t need to worry.  My experience this time around was completely different.  Going in with the mindset that this would bring me joy helped me to enjoy the meal and the experience.  I was open to whatever was about to happen and in the end I loved the meal today.  Sitting in silence listening to the sounds of the dining room was pretty cool.  The energy in the room was warm and comfortable.  I felt connected to everyone in a way I can’t really describe. 

The amazing part of the experience was realizing that I’m actually a lot more comfortable with silence than I was 4 years ago.  The first time I found myself constantly worrying and feeling self-conscious about how loud I was being.  It’s hard to enjoy something when you are hyper aware of how loud you are and stuck in your head worrying what people are thinking about you.  This time though because of my meditation practices I was able to turn that worry off and just relax into the beauty of silence.  The world looks and sounds different when you stop the spinning thoughts in your brain and just exist in the moment.  It felt like pure joy to me.   

I’m so grateful to get to try a silent lunch again.  It was an amazing experience to teach me how much I’m learning about  myself and what will bring me joy.


Thank you to everyone still reading these entries and asking me about them.  I'm loving this challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment