Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

30 Days of Joy: Day 2/30

Day 2's Joy - A Lunch Date with Myself and a Book

I have to say I think this idea of trying to find joy each day is going to be really good for me (shocking I know…heheh).  The world feels different when you set your intention to be joyful.  Day #2 of this challenge reminded me of this idea.

It is probably not surprising that I love food and eating out.  Lately between working on saving a down payment for a house and trying to lose weight, eating out is something I don’t do as much anymore.  Yesterday I decided that my joy was going to be taking myself out on a lunch date.  I grabbed my book and left the office at lunch time so I could go visit a nearby restaurant.  I followed lunch by a visit to Starbucks for a frappuccino before heading back to work because for an hour I didn’t want to worry about calories. 

Now a lunch break probably doesn’t seem that special but the crazy thing that I realized is because I set the intention that it would be my joy for the day it actually was.  As soon as I left the office I was more grateful for the sun warming my face, the light breeze keeping me from getting too hot and even the hint of the scent of flowers because they all were noticed and lifted my spirit.  Lunch itself was probably nothing amazing or special but it was tasty.  I took my time enjoying the flavours of the food and reading my book.  It was relaxing and refreshing.  By the time I got back to the office after this break I felt lighter and refreshed.  I was also way more productive in the afternoon.  This is also not surprising, there are lots of studies out there that say this very thing. 

The effects from lunch followed me the rest of the day.  Lately as soon as I get home from work I want to snack and I have found more and more lately I have been giving in to that.  Logically I know it is a reaction to my day more than true hunger but logic doesn’t always make things change.  Yesterday when I got home there was no nagging desire to snack.  I’m sure some would argue that it’s because my lunch was probably bigger than normal (it wasn’t) but honestly the fact that I could focus on making dinner without snacking was simply because I was in a better frame of mind.  That feeling has actually last through the night and is in fat carrying me as I write this.  I’m excited to see how this feeling grows over the next 30 days because I know it will.

Sending all who are reading this much love and wishes for finding your own joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment