Pages

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Calgary Expo Musings & Memories Part 3: Thank you Calgary Expo!

As I sat down to write about my experiences this year at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo I quickly realized I had too much to say for one entry.  This is the final entry.  I have loved sharing my memories.  I can’t wait to do it all again next year.  Happy reading!


___________________________________________

Every once and a while your best laid plans get turned around.  My original plan for this 3rd blog entry was a list of the things that I have learned because of the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo but it’s not really turning out the way I had thought it might. As I started writing it became apparent that what I really wanted this last entry to be is a thank you to all the people who work so hard to pull the expo off.

I have spent some time the last couple of days looking through my previous Expo scrapbook albums.  I have been attending the Calgary Expo since 2012.  As I look through all the photos and stories and blog entries that I have kept, I have come to realize just how many memories and moments I owe to Calgary Expo.  This year has been an exceptional year for making memories and having special moments but the truth is that every year I seemed to be blessed with amazing memories.  Each year as the weekend comes to an end I say the same thing, “this has been the best expo yet.”  And each year I mean it.  I also question each year if everyone over in Expo headquarters will actually be able to make the following year even better.  2017 is going to be a hard year to beat but I’m really looking forward to seeing what will come.

In looking back I decided to do a little counting and between the six Calgary Expos (counting this year) I have attended and the one Edmonton Expo I was actually shocked by just how many celebrity guests I have met either for photo ops or for autographs or in a lot of cases both.  I apparently have had 51 photos taken and got 60 autographs.  That is 111 moments in the past 5 years that I have loved.  Sure some of those moments were more powerful or memorable than others but all of them have been something I looked forward to and anticipated for different reasons.  I also have been privileged enough to see many many panels.  I have heard stories and jokes and great accents, all of which add to the memories I take away each year.  I will say this, for as many interactions I have had there has only been 1 that I probably would have chosen to change if I had to do it again.  That’s a pretty awesome batting average and in reality even that one memory ended up with a silver lining that made for a special moment. 

None of these amazing moments and memories would have happened if it wasn’t for the hard work of all the volunteers and staff at Expo.  How can I not be filled with gratitude?  I have funny stories, moving stories and even a couple embarrassing stories that I will forever get to share all because of the hard work a team does behind the scenes.  I get to sound cool and exciting at least once and a while when conversations turn to things like television or movies.  I never had a lot of stories to share before expo but now I can hold my own when I start talking with friends. 

At least once a year I also get to go and hang out in one of the most accepting places on earth.  It is a place that I can let my walls down, celebrating the things I love and just be myself.  I am forever grateful to know that there is a place like this.  Each year I attend it renews my spirit and reminds me that I’m okay just the way I am.  It leaves me feeling better about myself and about accepting the things I love.  Over the last five years I have gone from being a geek that hid her interests away to someone who now is willing to share them with everyone.

To all the staff and volunteers at Calgary Expo I thank you.  I know that you guys have to work hard so that all of us fans can have a good time.  We take you for granted when things go right and curse you when things go wrong.  What we should be doing is celebrating you and appreciating you.  Next year I will continue to try and remember the bigger picture and all you have brought into my life.  I will try to show my gratitude as I pass each of you hurrying around.

Thank you for making my dreams come true and for making dreams come true that I didn’t know I wanted.  Thank you for all the hard work so that I don’t have to see when things are going wrong.  Thank you for the smiles and help you have always offered.  Thank you for always trying to improve and get better.  I can’t wait to see where you go next year.   I look forward to all the new memories that I will make.

No comments:

Post a Comment