Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Calgary Expo Musings & Memories Part 1

As I sat down to write about my experiences this at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo I quickly realized I had too much to say for one entry.  This is now part 1 of 3.  The other two will follow over the next couple of days.  One day I promise I’ll learn the art of being brief…maybe ;-)  Happy reading!

________________________________

I look forward to my weekend adventures at the Calgary Expo every year.  Each time as it ends I think to myself it was the best year yet.  2017 was no different.  It was another fantastic year, with amazing guests, lots of time with friends and great panels. I have no clue how the team at Calgary Expo will top themselves next year but I can’t wait to find out.  In the meantime I want to share a few of my favourite moments from this year.  They are a mix of celebrity guest moments and just cool happy Jill moments.


1. OMG I’m 37 going on 16!


One of my favourite guest announcements this year was when it was announced that Boy Meets World cast members, Will Friedle and Rider Strong were going to be in Calgary this year.  I love that show.  I didn’t get to watch most of it as it aired because we didn’t have cable but anytime I was babysitting on a Friday night it would get put on.  I got to see the final couple seasons though while I was away at university.  I was hooked.  As soon as it got released on DVD it ended up in my collection.  I fully admit that I watch all 7 seasons at least once a year.  I also admit that when I want something that will just make me smile I will stick on some of my favourite episodes.  Of all the tv shows that I own this is probably the second most often watched in my house (the first being MASH).  I was not disappointed by getting to meet them.  Both guys were super friendly.  Meeting them left me shaking and giggling like I was a teenager again.  It was so cool and fun.  Their panel was also my favourite of the expo.  It was fun listening them share stories and tease each other.  I do blame them for the craving of pizza that popped up as they discussed the pros and cons of pineapple on pizza.  Hehehe.  Both guys were super charming, funny and I wanted the panel to last forever. 

2. It is only crazy if your friends don’t agree to it!


This year was definitely a year for seeing friends at Expo.  After the first day I quickly made the decision that I wanted to try and do a selfie with all of them and tried to make that happen.  This turned out to create a very fun time and made me very grateful that my friends are all so willing to put up with my crazy, even the ones who hate having their pictures taken.  (The best part is it’s going to make a really cool scrapbook page to match with the celeb selfie scrapbook page…it’s all the people I love famous and not in one spot.)  This year gave me the chance to catch up with a good friend from high school that I lost touch with.  It also gave me the chance to continue to work on building some of my newer friendships.  I have done the whole expo thing on my own enough to know that it is way more fun with friends.  Who else can you run to after meeting your favourite guests, jumping up and down or near tears or who can you laugh with when you are so tired from standing in line you can’t help but wonder what random stains are?  Expo is always fun but when I get to share it with my friends it means that much more and usually means I have a lot more laughs.  I’m grateful every day for the friends in my life.  I’m a very bless woman.

3.  Can you come over and read me to sleep, please?
I might have a list of people that I would love to read me to sleep.  They are people (famous and not) that have voices that I could listen to forever.  After hanging out at a handful of panels I added a few more names to the list.  I have decided that I’m in love with the voices of John Cusack, Adrian Paul, James Marsters and especially Wallace Shawn.  Truth be told Wallace Shawn has been on the list for years but it was super cool to get to hear him in person again.  Just like when I listened to him in Edmonton I could totally close my eyes and picture Rex from Toy Story.  Also really you know he would probably do all the voices when he was reading.  LOL  As much as I love watching these guys act it’s totally their voices that have me captured.

4. Is this weird or is it just me?


You are never sure what will happen when hanging out at the Expo.  I have experienced all sorts of different things from fun to crazy to a little strange.  This year all of those happened in one moment.  On Sunday morning I went to get James Marsters autograph.  He greeted me and we chatted a little bit and then said hold on a second so I can chug my drink.  He told me what it was, some sort of electrolyte juice stuff from England.  He then upending the water bottle and downed very nearly the whole thing in one gulp.  I just started giggling because when I feel awkward it’s my natural reaction.  I didn’t know where to look.  It was odd and distracting and just thinking about it makes me giggle.  I totally had visions of him starting to laugh and me getting sprayed by it.  Every time I look at my Spike autograph I know I’m going to laugh.  He was super charming and lovely but seriously what a moment and damn he can chug a drink.  LOL

5.  I think I just travelled back in time!


18 years ago my very first boyfriend came to visit me in Lethbridge to meet me.  He took me on my very first date to the local theatre where we saw Dogma and I was introduced to Jay and Silent Bob for the first time.  He then took it upon himself to educate me on all the movies I had been missing.  I was hooked.  So when Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes were announced I messaged him right away.  We have stayed friends and I knew there was no one else that would be better suited to share my photo with.  It was totally cool to share the moment with him and it is definitely my all-time favourite photo.  It also helps that Smith and Mewes were super sweet and friendly.  I’m also glad to have a friend in line while I waited for that photo.  It made it a whole lot more fun and manageable. 

6.  Did that just happen?



Two media guests that I found myself a little star struck by were John Cusack and Jeremy Renner.  I found both to be quite nice and friendly.  Both autographs and photos were quick, which is understandable when you consider the size of their lines but I was still happy to have met both of them.  In another year they probably both would have been in my top moments but this year they did have some big competition from unexpected sources.  That being said I love the fact that I got to tell both I admire them and their work. 

7.  I have the sweetest friends.


This one matches up with number 2 sort of.  One of my more recent friendships is with the very talented artist Elisa Friesen.  You can check out her stuff here.  I met her through another friend and over the last year or so we have gotten to know each other.  I have had her create a couple pictures for me and I love the look of the stuff she brought with her both to Edmonton Expo last September and this year’s Calgary Expo.  Saturday when I decided I needed to get a thank you gift for one of the guests I messaged her to see if she had anything.  She didn’t but was quick to say she would draw something for me.  I was blown away when she did this amazing little Jiminy Cricket sketch and a very short amount of time.  It was one of the sweetest things someone has ever done for me.  Thank you Elisa for being so wonderful and for humouring my version of crazy.

8.  Unexpected things happen when you need them the most/you never know what will impact you.

This memory/experience/moment is something that has turned in to part 2 of this entry.  It is also the reason I was hunting for the thank you gift from above.  Meeting Raphael Sbarge made my entire expo.  It started on Friday with the photo op, continued through Saturday when I got his autograph and finished on Sunday when I said thank you one last time.  I’m so grateful to have had the chance to meet him.  I have no doubt that my expo would have been a completely different experience had the few moments I shared with him not happened, but more on that tomorrow.

I will look back on the 2017 Calgary Expo with a lot of fond memories and experiences.  It is a weekend that left me feeling recharged, lighter and happier.  It was the weekend I have needed for a long time.  As I adjust back to my boring world it’s always hard not to feel a little sad it’s all over but at least getting a chance to write about it lets me carry the feeling and memories forward for a bit more.


I want to end part one with a thank you.  It is a thank you to all the staff and volunteers that helped to make Calgary Expo great.  I’m grateful for all that you did and do because without you guys I don’t get the opportunities to have such amazing, lifelong memories.  You all have my heart and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment