Pages

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Calgary Expo Musings & Memories Part 2


Some Memories Deserve to Stand Alone


As I sat down to write about my experiences this year at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo I quickly realized I had too much to say for one entry.  This is now part 2 of 3, with the last to follow tomorrow.  I apologize now for the length of this entry.  It has been rewritten and reworked many times since Saturday.  It’s funny how living the moment and experiencing the changes that came, were so much easier than trying to share it and explain it.  Happy reading!


_________________________________________


I have always felt that if you see goodness in the world that it should be recognized, celebrated and shared.  Our world seems to spend a lot of time sharing and talking about the negative and sometimes you just need to see that there is some light in it.  This is the main reason that I wanted to share this memory and experience by itself.  Meeting Raphael Sbarge at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo this past weekend brought some light into my world. 


I love and look forward to Calgary Expo every year.  Most of the people I work with know that come April they shouldn’t even ask me about it because it will get me babbling away like a goof.  I always know that it is going to be a fun weekend, where I get to meet my some of my long time crushes, actors & actresses I admire, and just get to be surrounded by a lot of really cool people and things.  It is a place where everyone is accepted no matter what.  It is one of the few times I can be in a large group of people and not feel judged.  This year started off a bit different for me though.  For the first time ever I found myself noticing people staring at me and even sadly heard a few whispered comments that I wish I hadn’t.  It put me in a weird head space for Thursday and Friday and once I was in that head space it was hard to ignore the looks that all seemed to be directed at me.  I have no doubt this mood and sensitivity would have continued for the weekend but then I got to witness something that changed my whole mind set and opened me up to what became one of the best weekends I have experienced.

On Friday at my last photo op of the day I got in line.  I was looking forward to the picture but not super excited.  I mean it was following after my Boy Meets World photo which I had been looking forward to for months and it was also the end of the day so I was a little tired.  I was happy to be there but not my usual super-excited-crazy-expo-Jill happy.  Don’t get me wrong, Once Upon a Time is one of my favourite shows and Raphael plays one of my favourite characters on the show (not to mention he has guest starred in a lot of my other favourite shows) but if I’m being completely truthful, had another guest not cancelled I probably wouldn’t have even done the photo op.  It’s funny how things work out though because now I wouldn’t trade the photo and moments that went with it for the world.

I planned to go in smile, pick up my photo and then head home.  What happened though was completely unexpected to me in the very best way.  In front of me was a lady who was in an electric scooter.  She was struggling to try and get up so she could stand for her photo.  I watched as Raphael walked over to her and offered to help.  He then walked with her to the mark for the photo, talking to her the whole time.  I could feel the compassion and warmth in that photo booth.  In a place that is usually so hurried and rushed it was refreshing to see the pace slow down so one fan could have an amazing experience.  After the photo was taken he walked her back and then joined me.  He thanked me for my patience before asking my name.  The photo was taken and I left deeply moved by what I had just seen.  As crazy as this is going to sound I actually felt lighter and happier just by being there to witness that moment.  I can only imagine what it would have felt like for that lady.

To put this into perspective I should explain a little bit about myself because it will totally make more sense why this moved me so deeply.  When I was two years old my mom had a stroke.  This was many years ago and they didn’t have near the knowledge or drugs to help reverse the damage a stroke can cause so my mom was left with mobility issues.  The stroke damage caused my mom's left side to no longer really function.  She has always had to walk with a cane and or use a scooter to get around and she has never in my memory been able to use her left hand.  I don’t know her any other way, although one of my favourite childhood photos is of me as a baby and my mom’s legs.  She was skating and pulling me in a sled around Bowness Park.  Another favourite is of her crouched down and watching me trying to walk.  I don't remember her this way but the photos always make me wonder what if.



Growing up with a mom who is disabled wasn’t always easy.  I often wondered what it would be like if I had a “normal” family but the reality is for all the struggles I wouldn’t change a thing because it sure taught me a lot.  I watched how she was treated, both good and bad, and learned a lot about the world from her experiences.  I learned a lot about how I want to treat people from it as well.  It’s not always easy and as an adult I often have to remind myself to have patience with her, especially when we travel, but I continue to strive to be kind to her.  A huge part of the reason I am the way I am is because of her and I love her for it.  I’m proud of my mom and her strength.  My empathy, compassion and desire to make a difference all come from watching her.

The kindness and compassion Raphael showed to that woman in front of me really struck a chord because of my mom.  I knew that I wanted to be able to say thank you for it.  I was filled with gratitude for him because it’s people like him that have always shown kindness to my mom as well.  I went home Friday night and thought a lot about that moment.  I went back and forth trying to decide if I was actually going to say anything when I went to get my autograph.  The true memory and moment belong to the woman in front of me and should be hers to share but I still felt changed by experiencing it so it left me feeling a little conflicted.  I thought about it and wrote about it that night and when I headed back to the Expo Saturday morning I still didn’t know if I was going to say anything, right up until Raphael smiled at me and asked how the photo turned out.  Well suddenly all the emotion of the night before (and probably also a little amplified due to lack of sleep) came flooding back and I knew sharing my gratitude was the right thing to do.

So I shared my thank you and gratitude for the moment.  I told him a little about my story although probably not very elegantly.  He patiently listened and responded back.  I don’t know that I made a whole lot of sense but he showed me a lot of kindness just by listening.  The whole time he had the warmest smile on his face.  He reached out and touched my hand once or twice which let me feel connected and at ease.  It let me be open, honest and pour my heart out a little.  It was such a sweet moment in which I felt vulnerable and unguarded.  He was charming and friendly.  He made me laugh when he said he had to stop for a second because it was tricky to write and talk.  I had his full attention for a few minutes and I felt like the only person in the world.  It probably helped that there was no one in line so I didn’t feel like I need to rush off.

I had planned to just say my thank you and go but he kept me talking.  I think in a way that was almost the best part.  I got to share my thank you but still got to have a really interesting separate conversation with him so I could have a moment that was all mine.  He asked me about Once Upon a Time and I told him how I loved it because it appealed to the writer in me because it was such a cool concept.  The moment that touched me the most in this part of the conversation though was when he asked me what I wrote.  You wouldn’t think this would be a big deal but it really made me feel important and special.  I’m there to meet him and yet he was taking a little bit of time to ask about me.  Again like in the photo op I could just feel his kindness and spirit (that sounds so fluffy but it’s the only way I can think to explain it). 

After signing my photo and taking a selfie with me he then gave me a hug.  Now I have often gotten hugs at Expo (never because I ask…I’m too shy for that…but because if they offered who is going to say no) and the thing with them is there never feel overly personal or special.  With Raphael this was not the case.  The hug he gave was a good and proper hug.  I have no doubt he could feel me shaking so he might have been terrified I was going to faint or something but it was amazing none the less.  Heheh!  If there was any doubt in my mind what type of guy he was, it was gone after that.  I thanked him again and said it was great to meet him.  I then quickly walked away because I could feel the tears starting.  No one at a convention no matter how excited or how cool the interaction, has ever left me feeling so emotional in such a good way or any way for that matter.  He is also the first to ever make me cry at the Expo (although John Barrowman came close last year for similar reasons).  I walked away feeling like a better person for having been around him.  I suspect from the stories I have been hearing he is always like this and I’m not all that special but it made a huge impression on me.

The reality of my life is that I often don’t get to see the best in people.  I have spent years being treated differently or judged because of how I look.  It has left me guarded in a lot of ways, which I have been working hard to change.  So to come across someone who doesn’t know me but was still so open and genuine with me made my day and weekend.  I felt accepted and valued in that moment.  It was a fantastic feeling.

It doesn’t take much to be nice to people but I believe to truly show kindness the way Raphael did, does take a special person.  I don’t think it is something you can fake.  It made me want to do something to show my gratitude and appreciation back which is why I asked Elisa to draw me the little Jiminy Cricket sketch that I shared yesterday.  I also made a little thank you card and wrote a letter so I could explain in better words what the experience of meeting him meant to me.  Selfishly I knew doing this would also mean that I could go back and talk to him again for a few minutes but mostly I just wanted him to know he made a difference in my world. 

First thing Sunday morning I stopped by his booth again to drop it all off.  I wish I had prepared a bit better what I wanted to say because as incoherent as I was on Saturday it was worse on Sunday.  There were others in line and I had already had my time with him so I sort of rushed through not wanting to take away from the other fans time.  I’m not going to lie I was also terrified I would start to cry in front of him and I didn’t want that to happen.  As awkward as I felt, he was amazing and friendly again.  I didn’t give him much of a chance to say anything this time (babbling Jill had taken over and she is hard to shut up) but he took it in stride.  Before I left he came around the table again gave me another good real hug.  I felt that hug all day.

I have been sharing this story with most of my friends and every time I struggle to try and put it into words what happened and its impact.  Every time I share it I feel the same swell of my heart.  The joy and happiness that was brought in to my world by meeting one person is beyond anything I could have hoped or imagined.  It was such an amazing experience.  I feel honoured and privileged to have gotten to meet Raphael Sbarge.  He left a huge impression on me.  He flipped my whole mood around in a few moments.  When I think of my 2017 Expo experience the memory of meeting him will be the first that pops into my head, even with all the other cool moments I talked about yesterday.  I can promise that if he was to come back I would be the first in line again.  What a classy and lovely man.  It might sound a little (okay a lot) cliché but I think the world is a better place with someone like him in it.  I also think we could do with a whole lot more people like him.  I for one will remember his patience and kindness the next time I’m getting frustrated by a situation or a person.


I learned and relearned many lessons this weekend (see tomorrow’s blog…hehe) and I have to say that at least a few of them are a direct result of meeting and interacting with Raphael.  So from the bottom of my heart, should you ever read this Raphael, I thank you for coming and for being so genuine and real.  It was a privilege to have met you.  You have made a fan for life…well okay I was already a fan for life but now I can appreciate you on a different level.  I will forever be grateful for those few interactions.  Sending you my love and gratitude.

“A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are things that renew humanity.” - Buddha



No comments:

Post a Comment