Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Early Bday Celebrations

This weekend was a fun filled weekend of celebrating. I decided to celebrate my birthday early and so invited everyone to join me in rollerskating and a potluck. It turned out really well. Out of this weekend I did discover that not everything you once knew comes back like riding a bike. LOL. The last time I roller skated was probably 19 years ago. I remember racing around the rink, sure you fell down but you could go and it was easy. Now not so much. Skating was a challenge for me, but it was still just as much fun as it was when I was a kid. So I have a new plan...I'm going to get good at skating. It was an amazing work out (my legs still hurt today, two days later) and it was so much fun it would be easy to use it as a form of activity. Anyone else that is thinking about going roller skating here is my advice...

1. Work on your leg strength (mine was not so great so while skating my legs would shake and let me tell you this does not help with your balance)
2. Remember your sense of humor (god knows if you can't laugh at yourself you might as well not bother)
3. Don't pay any attention to anyone else, especially the little kids (it just makes you feel old and even more un-coordinated...hehehe)
4. Lastly remember to have fun because ultimately that is what it is all about.

These four little things do not only apply to rollerskating but really any activity that you take on...well at least the last three. Just because we are adults does not mean we have to stop having fun. I have spent so much of my life doing what is expected of me and what is the right thing. These are not always the fun things and I think I have finally realized that life is way more exciting and way more fun if I just do what I want.

I have a piece of butcher paper on the back of my bedroom door on which I write different quotes or ideas or goals. I was looking at it last night and one thing jumped out of me. Last year around my 30th birthday I wrote that my 20s were for growing up and figuring my life out and doing the things I need to do to survive. I vowed that my 30s would be different. My 30s are going to be about doing things for myself. Finding the happiness inside and doing the things that make me who I am. This last year has been a gradual push towards these ideas. I'm finally comfortable with who I am, I know what I want and now I am finally doing the steps I need to in order to get everything I have always wanted.

So many people I know right now our struggling with different things and I just want you all to remember that we only have one chance at life. Yes bad stuff happens but if you let it get to you more bad stuff will happen. I think negativity is an easier way to live. There is always bad stuff going on and around us. You can always find things you don't like and it's real easy to let negativity surround us. But I will tell you, and I have before, since I started to choose a more positive outlook things have been great. Yes I still have bad days (again because negativity is easy) but overall I am feeling great. I can have fun again without feeling guilty about it. Nothing is going to stop me anymore. I may not get everything I want tomorrow but I know that I will get everything I want in time. So let your inner child take over for a day or even an hour. Life will look brighter and even if you aren't lighter physically you will feel lighter mentally :-) Positivity is a choice so you just have to make the choice to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment