Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Why it’s Different This Time – Introduction

I figure I’m overdue to do a series of entries again.  I had a lot of fun doing the series that I did last year leading up to my Terry Fox run because it gave me something to consistently write about.  I loved having that focus so I figured why not try it again.  I guess it helps that I have something to write about that as hard as I try I can’t sum up into one entry and something that is at least in my opinion worth exploring in multiple entries. 

As I get close to hitting an important milestone (50 pounds lost) I find myself starting to question my journey.  It comes from a little bit of doubt that is creeping into my world.  It also comes from spending far too much time reflecting on things I’m sure.  The question that I want to spend the next little while looking at is why this time trying to lose weight is different?  The reality is I have tried and failed many times before when it comes to losing weight but I feel like there is something different going on this time.  I think finding the answer to the question as to why it feels different will not only help cement that this time is going to be the time I find success but it will also let me share more of my story and my heart with anyone who wants to read it.

I don’t think it matters what the goal is or what the journey is there are aspects that are true to any of them.  I know for me the start of a journey or a new goal is always the best.  I am filled with excitement of doing something new.  I have faith that I can accomplish it even if I might not always realize what it will take to accomplish.  Everything is new and fun.  It is the fresh start you feel on New Years’ Day when the whole year lies in front of you ready to unfold.  In this first phase it is easy to rely on will power to get you through the hard stuff because you aren’t tired yet.  I have been in this first phase many times when it comes to losing weight.  Each time I start on a weight loss journey I am sure that it is the last time I will start the journey.  I’m full of determination, drive and hope.  I’m always excited for the changes to happen.  I also always commit a hundred percent.  I can’t imagine anything that will get in the way of reaching the end result. 

The first phase has lasted me anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.  Inevitably though the beginning excitement and drive begins to fade and the reality of what is in store for me sinks in.  I start to acknowledge how long my journey will be to get where I want to go.  Frustrations start to creep in usually because the numbers on the scale aren’t moving the way I want.  I also start to feel like I’m missing out on things in the rest of my life, especially things like spending time with friends.  The struggle and hard work required to achieve any goal really begins at this point. The ability to will yourself through the challenges becomes harder and harder.  This is also the point when the doubts become the loudest and in the past this is often when I have quit whether it comes from outright giving up or a slower process of quitting where I just stop trying and sort of drift back into old habits.

I have been in this middle phase for a while now.  I have experienced a lot of the frustrations and struggles that have often led me to quit in the past but I haven’t yet and I don’t actually see myself quitting this time around.  I don’t know that I have all the answers and I can’t see the future to know if I’m right when I say this time I’m on the right path and I will once and for all find my success.  I do know that even being stuck smack dab in the middle of this journey, as hard as it can be at times the desire to continue to move forward far outweighs the desire to quit.  I take that as a very good sign.  I also know that although my previous attempts haven’t been successful they have taught me a great deal.  They have helped me to learn the knowledge and the skills I need to help me find my success.  It is this knowledge and the skills that I have found in the last little while that I will be exploring.  They include things like my rock bottom moment, tools that keep me motivated and the importance of changing my thinking and attitude to name a few.  These are the things that are making this journey different.

I have to say that I feel incredibly blessed to have a space in this world where I can share and explore the things that I am learning.  It helps me to feel like I’m leaving a small mark on this world.  It inspires me to continue my hard work and to keep on sharing it all in hopes it will inspire others.  That though makes me remember the very first day I met my trainer when she asked me if I was ready to be an inspiration to people.  I giggled and said sure but at that moment I was terrified she was right.  Since then I have heard from people at the gym as well as people who have read my blog or my Facebook posts that I am inspiring them.  I am learning to embrace this which is part of why now I feel like I can write this particular series of blog entries.  Each part of why this journey is different that I’m about to share I have tried to write at one point or another but have struggled with because it is some of the hardest things I have learned and some of the things that are at the very soul of the journey I’m on.  It terrifies me to share them but at the same time I hope that maybe someone will find something in my story that will help them find their own story and their own success.  If nothing else it gives me a spot that I can turn to when I am doubting what I’m doing and remind myself of all the reasons why I shouldn’t doubt that this time I will get everything I am working so hard for. 


Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the love, support and encouragement that is shared my way.  It means more than I can express in words (although I will try to soon.).  Please look for my next entry next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment