Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Ready or Not, 10K Try Number Two

It’s official, I have registered for the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon Jugo Juice 10K once again.  I have known since I tapped out of last year’s attempt that I would go back and try again.  Yet it has taken me forever to actually convince myself to register.  I completely admit that dragging my feet was entirely because I have a large amount of fear now around the 10k distance.

Last year was heartbreaking and tough for me.  You can read about it here.  The sense of disappointment I felt last year is still just as strong as I write this blog entry now.  The biggest reason for taking so long to register for the race is honestly because I’m terrified that when I make my second attempt at this distance that I won’t be able to do it and have to quit again.  I’m not sure I can handle failing for a second time which is why the only solution is that I just can’t quit this time.

I am already working hard to making 2018 my best and most successful year yet.  Part of that success definitely needs to be checking the 10K off of my to-do list.  When looking back over the events of last year, one of my biggest issues was the lack of consistency leading up to the race.  My training was all over the place as was my commitment to eating well.  I spent all my time saying next week will be better until I was out of weeks.  I am not doing that this year.

Already in place to make me more successful this year is tracking my food.  I can confidently say that I’m back to regularly tracking all the food that I’m eating.  About 6 weeks ago the Weight Watcher’s program changed a bit and when it did I made the decision to embrace it and really apply myself again to the program.  Since then I have not missed a single day of tracking.  In the past 6 weeks, although I may have missed some snacks and guessed at some points for others, my tracking has been solid.  With solid tracking I have been once again seeing my weight start to come steadily down again.  This is a huge win that will help me so that on May 27th I will be as small as I can get between now and then.

With my food under control I am turning my attention to my actually training plan.  I am going to be running three times a week and going for distance walks once a week.  For the past 3 months I have been working to make sure I’m including some form of physical activity in each of my days.  I’m not always 100% compliant but I have begun to re-establish that sense of routine of exercise into my life.  What is still in much need of work though is getting back to the gym regularly again.  There was a time I considered myself a bit of gym regular.   I knew lots of people and felt like I belonged.  I’m not there right now though.  That will be changing again though.  I want to be a fixture again.  I want to be noticed and seen there.  I want to make sure that when it comes to the race I will be able to confidently say that I did all the training I could and that I’m as strong as I possibly can be.

I have 18 weeks to get myself race ready.  I have 18 weeks to channel my terror in a positive direction so that I can rewrite that voice in my head that still plagues me with doubt.  I have 18 weeks to correct the things that I did wrong last year in my training.  I have 18 weeks to get my game face on.  It is probably not surprising that I feel like the next 18 weeks are going to be terrifying but that they will also be 18 weeks that will be working to create a stronger, more confident version of myself. 


2018 10K or Bust!

1 comment:

  1. do you have a PO box you can post? I would like to send you something as not only encouragement but also to let you know how proud I am for how far you have come :)

    C~

    ReplyDelete