Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Finding My Running Legs: Lessons Learned on Celebrating/Acknowledging All Achievements

*Series in progress*  This entry is part of a series I’m writing leading up to my running (walking…but hopefully mostly running) my first 5K.  For more information on this series check out the introduction here or just continue on reading this entry.  I have also included links at the end to the other entries and to both the Terry Fox Foundation and my run fundraising page.

This entry is proving one of the harder ones for me to write but one that I think is incredibly important.  Over the years I have found it a struggle to really celebrate the things I accomplish.  As a perfectionist I tend to see what I did wrong rather than what I have done right.  I can look at most things at find something that I could have done better or should have done differently and fixate on it.  This has never really served me that well so I figured while I’m changing everything else I should see if I can’t try and change this way of thinking as well.  So with my list of goals in place I decided that I would find a way to mark or celebrate every accomplishment that I cross off the list as I make my way to the 5K.  Sometimes it is just a quick Facebook status and sometimes I treat myself to a present (usually in the form of a new book).  It doesn’t seem to matter how I recognize the work I’m doing as long as I do take some time to recognize it.

In the past 6 months I have really noticed how much happier and more fulfilled I feel about what I am doing.  Some of it is coming from the focus that has come from having specific goals to work towards but I think a greater part of it is coming from the fact that I’m finally recognizing the best parts of me.  In celebrating my milestones I have not only found pride in my own accomplishments but I’m have also found a way to affect others.  People keep telling me that I inspire them and make them want to change.  I have even had a few friends who have told me they are now doing things differently because of what I have been doing.  This means the world to me because what I want most in this life is to know that I am making a difference in the world for the better.  If I wasn’t taking the time to share my accomplishments none of this would have been happening.

The idea of celebrating and acknowledging goals has become incredibly powerful.  As I mentioned above my version of celebrating varies but one mainstay for me is a quick post on my Facebook.  It feels a little like bragging sometimes but I think I deserve to brag a little (as does everyone).  We really do need to shout it from the rooftops when we do something that we have worked hard for.  It took me a little bit of time to accept that it was okay for me to be excited about my accomplishments but what I didn’t realize at first was just how special those Facebook statuses were going to become.  Sharing all my accomplishments opened me up to a world of support that I don’t think I necessarily really realized existed.  It is also helping me make sure that I really remember just what I have done.  It only takes a few minutes of my time but the benefits have been huge.

A few of the benefits that I have noticed include feeling happier and fulfilled as I mentioned above but it has also led to me feeling more excited about this journey, more driven and like I’m actually getting somewhere.  I don’t think anything has ever made me feel better than I have the last few months and I think at least in part some of it is owed to actually taking the time to recognize my accomplishments. It has been a huge change in my mindset.  I highly recommend giving it a try.

I hope that you anyone reading this has enjoyed it so far.  Tomorrow I will be shifting gears a little bit and starting to talk about the lessons I have learned about my body and just how amazing it is to watch the changes that have been coming my way as I continue to work towards my 5K.

To donate and check out my progress please visit my page here.

For more information on the Terry Fox Foundation and the run check out their page here.

Finding My Running Legs Previous Entries

No comments:

Post a Comment